There is currently six National Park Service Site in Kentucky and one associated sites.
Official National Parks of Kentucky
- Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historical Park
- Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area
- Camp Nelson Hertiage National Monument
- Cumberland Gap National Historical Park
- Fort Donelson National Battlefield
- Mammoth Cave National Park
Associated sites of Kentucky
- Trail of Tears National Historic Trail
Kentucky National Parks
Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historical Park
Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area
Camp Nelson Heritage National Monument
Cumberland Gap National Historical Park
Fort Donelson National Battlefield
Mammoth Cave National Park
Trail of Tears National Historic Trail
The Trail of Tears National Historic Trail follows the different routes members of the Cherokee, Muscogee (Creek), Seminole, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Ponca, and Ho-Chunk/Winnebago nations were forced to march for resettlement as part of the Indian Removal Act. The Trail of Tears follows the four main routes from Tennessee, North Carolina, and Georgia thru Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas on their way to Oklahoma.
The Trail of Tears National Historic Trail stands as a reminder of the horrific treatment the American Indians suffered at the hands of the U.S government. It is estimated between 2,000 – 8,000 Cherokee died along the trail (that doesn’t include deaths of any of the other tribes or deaths in the Seminole wats).
Today, visitors to the Trail of Tears can drive any one of the four main auto routes and visit sites such as the Cherokee County Historical Museum, Brainerd Mission Cemetery, Cherokee National Museum, and Fort Payne Cabin Site to learn more about the journey the American Indians were forced to make and the challenges they faced.
Trail of Tears National Historic Trail was created in 1987.
View all the National Park Service Sites in neighboring states:
- National Parks of Illinois
- National Parks of Indiana
- National Parks of Missouri
- National Parks of Ohio
- National Parks of Tennessee
- National Parks of Virginia
- National Parks of West Virginia